Friday 15 February 2008

Aid in Kisii

Since the troubles started in Kenya, there have been about 300+ refugees camping in Kisii, mainly women and children.

No aid has been sent to the town and the refugees are being supported by the local community, putting a strain on their resources.

I have contacted every major aid agency in Kenya, bit to date, have not a received a reply from any of them.

Is it that these big international organisations, including the UNHCR, are just too self-important to take any notice of the people on the ground who have first-hand knowledge of the situation and the local people?

Or is it that a mere 300 women and children are just not important enough to worry about. After all, Kisii is off the beaten track to Kisumu and Eldoret, and not quite so easy to get to, although I managed it is a small sedan, so I am sure a 7-tonne truck can do it.

I have even offered to drive a load from Nairobi to Kisii myself! My people there can help with distribution. We are, after all, an NGO. This is what we do, just not on the same scale as the big boys.

No comments: