Wednesday 19 November 2008

A Friendly name ...

Our newly acquired children's home ... the official name is fine, but it is cold and distant.

This is the last thing we want for a children's home. I mentioned this to Vincent yesterday. I wanted an animal in the "friendly" name. We went through the best-known animals to be seen in Kenya (although I doubt that most of the kids had ever seen them), and eventually settled on the giraffe

Why a giraffe? Because the Swahili for giraffe is Twiga, and I like the word ~ Twiga Children's Home.

So that's it. The KCIS Child Support Centre will be known as the Twiga Children's Home.

1 comment:

Jacky Foo said...

I got to know your blog via my google alert on "kenya ovc children". I have been in East Africa since 1999 and just complemented two projects in Nairobi.

The Rabbit Network Kenya (http://www.globetree.org/africa/rabbit-net) may interest you and KCIS. Pls take a look.

I will be in the Kisumu area (Yala, Ugunja) around the end of Jan 2009 and hopefully we could meet.

RNK would also like to feature identified sites that are suitable for rabbit houses so that donors can contribute to their eventual construction.

You may have suggestions.

regards
jacky