Tuesday 24 February 2009

Kenya Media Watch

The author of the above blog, who is based in the Kisii area, posted a blog relating to the work we are doing in Kenya, as well as posting a comment on our blog (see below).

I don't have aproblem with that, but when I wanted to post a comment on his blog, I found I couldn't. So I am posting my comment here.

Time to Start Questioning Some Forms of Charity

I would agree about the problem of fatalism, and it is not restricted to Kisii. For this reason, we will be targeting children in schools, teaching them about malaria control.

Further, we are starting in Kisii because that is where most of us live. However, once the systems have been built, tweaked and proven, we will be expanding our operation. Other communities in Nyanza, Bungoma, Machakos and Coast as well as Cameroon, Malawi and Sierra Leone have shown an interest in what we are doing.

And yes, £500 is not a lot of money. But then, we don't have major overheads, no directors to pay, we use public transport. Personally, I pay my own air fares and living costs when I am in Kenya. And as we state everywhere, our systems are designed to be made from scrap and discarded materials, which are free or very cheap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The popularity of your "projects" among locals doesn't justify them. Churches in America, for example, have been going on "relief missions" to Africa for decades, but I don't see much that these "missions" have accomplished. These programs ultimately do more harm than good.

Also: Please read Dambisa Moyo's new book, "Dead Aid: Why Aid is Not Working and How There is a Better Way For Africa." This is a debate we ought to have.