Tuesday 22 April 2008

... and on to Watamu

March 2008

As well as the Mercy Gate Home in Kisii, ACIS also supports a school in Watamu, Coast. This is a private, fee-paying school run by Janet and Allan, but it is also home to 17 orphans and vulnerable children.

My visit to Watamu had two goals, to see how the school was getting on, but also to see my girlfriend and her children. We were able to use the visitor apartment at the school during my stay, which meant that our kids only had to cross the school yard to get home, which amused them. It also meant that they could invite all their friends "home", so the apartment seemed to be full of kids after school.

During my stay, I took several photos of the kids living there, candid shots showing them carrying out their chores, playing, etc.. These will be added to the school's website here and our own.

One little boy, Brian, is six and has been at the school for about a month. Due to his family circumstances, he had never attended school before, and spoke no English.

He came up to the apartment after school and I talked to him in English, asking questions that had to be answered in English. The kid was like a sponge. His face showed that he really wanted to learn.

But unfortunately, the time to leave arrived too quickly, and I had to take the bus back to Nairobi.

No comments: