Tuesday 22 April 2008

Back in Nairobi

I didn't want to leave Watamu so soon, but I had meetings in Nairobi on the Thursday before Easter. I couldn't afford to return to Watamu after the meetings, so was stranded in Nairobi over Easter.

As a smoker, staying with friend who did not smoke, I took to sitting on the step outside their front yard to pump up my nicotine level. Their road is gated and is therefore safe for kids to play and wander around. Needless to say, sitting there on the step, I soon became the centre of attention. After all, I was the only mzungu in town!

At first, kids would stand on the other side of the road and stare, but some of them soon plucked up the courage to approach and talk to me. And when they saw my camera, they all wanted to be photographed and then see themselves on the viewing screen.

There were three boys who always came over when I was there, Timothy (11), Winston (9) and Ben (5). Timothy is Winston's uncle. Ben is not related to them.

It soon became apparent to me that Timo was no ordinary kid. He was bright, confident, open and intelligent. He spoke near-perfect English and could hold an intelligent conversation. He also has ambition.

It was not long before he was telling me all about his life. He lost his father in 2004, had to move from private school to the local state school and move from a nice house to a little one just big enough for his mother and him.

Timo proved to be very artistic, too. He could compose a good photo and I was soon encouraging him to use my camera - not that he needed any encouragement.

After Easter, I was lucky enough to meet a couple of people who are willing to help ACIS to advance - it is who you know, not what you know, that counts in Kenya.

All too soon, it was time to return to the UK. We set off for the airport in torrential rain - and got stuck in a traffic jam for five hours. Needless to say, I missed the flight and we returned home, tired, frustrated and not a little worried. I had budgeted carefully and now my money was gone.


The following day, I had some money wired to me and I sorted out a new ticket, but I could not leave for another six days!

Timo was overjoyed when he came home from school and saw me sitting on my step.

And I had a few more days to "network" with the people of Nairobi.

My second attempt at leaving the country was successful and I returned to cold, snow, rain and strong winds.

No comments: